August 29, 2013

The Road to Maine is Bloody Part 16


“Sometimes she was right, I had some dreams that seemed very real, especially about Pennywise and Cujo. I never did like clowns or dogs after that, still I couldn’t get enough of your books. No matter how scared I was, I read them all and would put them back exactly as I found them. The dreams stopped once I got into high school and I was finally able to sleep peacefully but I still always had this fear that my nightmares were just around the corner. I had extreme nightmares after my Mom died but she’d always come to me in them and tell me it was alright.” Ashley smiled, looking up at him, then stood.

“I should go, I’ve kept you up very late and I’m exhausted, I need to get a hotel.” Ashley said, yawning as if to prove it.

“Nonsense, you can stay here in the guest bedroom. Tabitha would insist if she were here and she’ll be back tomorrow so don’t argue, I don’t want to get in trouble.” Stephen grinned and Ashley laughed, thoughts of Pennywise momentarily forgotten.

“Thank you Mr. King, I’m really exhausted.” Stephen showed her up to the guest bedroom and gave her a hug goodnight, insisting that she call him Stephen, then left her alone bidding her goodnight.

Ashley looked around the room that was decorated with awards from book publishers as well as from literary magazines. There were pictures of Stephen holding a framed picture of his first book Carrie and shaking hands with who was probably his publisher and others of him accepting awards and at speaking engagements. She smiled and kicked off her shoes and turned around and walked over to the bed.

It was a King size bed, much like the one her mother had and a thought occurred to her. Was Stephen seeing her mother while still married to Tabitha? Then she remembered he told her it had been before he met Tabitha but only by a month. When they broke things off, Stephen immersed himself in his writing and her mother soon met her step father.

Pulling back the blue comforter, she slipped into bed after removing her jeans and pulled it back over her. She fell asleep almost immediately, this time without any Pennywise dreams.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment