September 1, 2013

The Road to Maine is Bloody Part 20


Ashley wiped her eyes and sat back against the swing and crossed her long legs in front of her, the white Capri pants she wore pulling up part way on her calf. The Capris complimented her dark tan from when she was in Florida the week before.

“You’re so lucky; he seems like a really sweet man. My Mom never spoke of him though. I guess my stepfather didn’t want her to. I sometimes resented her for staying with him and even more for mourning for him after he died because I know he hit her. I used to hear them when I was in bed at night, though they didn’t think I did. When he was gone, she cried a lot. I once went to ask her what was wrong and saw a faint bruise on her cheek. She just told me to go to bed, she was allright.” Ashley said softly, the bitterness of the memory swelled in her throat making her swallow hard.

Tabitha squeezed her hand and smiled. “Yes I am lucky and I’m glad Stephen was there for her. Don’t blame your Mom Ashley; it’s hard to get out of that kind of relationship. And sometimes they think they deserve it or think they couldn’t do any better. Sadly it’s a pattern that happens again and again but at least she took charge in the end.”

Ashley nodded and sighed. “At least they don’t think my dad did it anymore. He’d been there that night but left before anything happened. I guess he’d come to get something he left behind and to sign the papers to turn our house over to my Mom. Who would have thought two hours later she’d be dead. If I hadn’t gone out with my friends, maybe I could have saved her.”

Tabitha shook her head. “There was nothing you could have done sweetie, whoever or whatever did this, would have killed you too. It’s not your fault and I’m sorry they haven’t found out who did this.” She smiled and patted Ashley’s hand.

Ashley smiled and stood up, brushing her hands down her pant legs and smoothed out the cotton material. “I need to go to the house and get it cleaned up. I’ve decided to sell it. My Mom left it to me in her will and I don’t really want it, too many bad memories and I can’t bear the thought of staying there after what happened.” She sighed and Tabitha said she understood and they went inside to finish breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment