Stephen smirked and leaned his
left shoulder in the door, blocking her path. “Where are you going Ashley?” He
asked her, not moving from the door as if daring her to try and get past him,
putting his right hand on the other side level with Ashley’s head.
“I have to get back to Washington
to my job.” Ashley told him, her voice sounding edged in fear. “Can you please
move?” She asked nicely, trying to not sound completely terrified.
Stephen leaned forward, his
hair brushing Ashley’s face and she could feel his breath in her ear. “I saw
you in the woods. I could smell your perfume. I know you heard something and I
trust you won’t say anything. I’d hate to have to hurt you. Now put your
suitcase down, you’re not going anywhere.”
Stephen left her standing in
the doorframe and Ashley’s heart pounded hard in her chest. She walked over to
the bed and sat down, her suitcase on the floor in front of her. Ashley’s eyes
welled with tears and she came to the realization that Stephen planned to kill
her.
It wasn’t until after dinner
that Ashley had the chance to be alone in the house. Stephen and Tabitha were
attending a Press Conference for the soon to be released Dr. Sleep. She waited
until they’d been gone for about half an hour and went to their bedroom to look
around.
Surely Stephen had something
that would give a clue to what had been going on behind Tabitha’s back. Ashley
still couldn’t grasp the fact that she’d overheard Stephen say he had a part in
killing her own mother. Ashley began rifling through the chest of drawers next
to the large king sized bed.
There were framed pictures of
Stephen with his children, Naomi, Owen and Joe, pictured outside their large
mansion in Florida, next to the swimming pool. The kids looked to be about 16,
14 and 12. They were all wearing swimming suits except Stephen; he was wearing
Khaki shorts and a blue Hawaiian shirt.
Ashley sifted through black
socks and white one’s not finding anything except receipts from Needful things
and an old silver Timex watch that was missing the glass faceplate.
No comments:
Post a Comment