Ashley folded the paper like it
was before she read it and put it back in the journal, tears streaming from her
eyes and put the journal back in the drawer. She started to put things back
when she heard the front door open and Stephen and Tabitha’s voices, sounding
like they were coming upstairs. “Oh shit.” She whispered to herself. Stuffing
the jeans and dress slacks back in the drawer as best she could and slamming
the drawer shut, she looked to make sure she got everything and quickly ran out
of the room and back to the guest bedroom.
It seems like only seconds
later when Tabitha poked her head in the door and smiled at her. “Are you okay
dear? You look a little flushed.” Tabitha said, noticing her red cheeks and
watery eyes.
Ashley nodded, faking a smile.
“I’m fine; how did the press conference go?” She asked her and Stephen appeared
in the doorway, his arm sliding around Tabitha’s waist. She looked away quickly
and lowered her head, looking at the floor and her heart began to quicken.
“It was great; Stephen answered
some questions and signed some autographs for a few people. We went to dinner
after at the diner and had some steaks. I brought you back some if you’re
hungry, they’re in the refrigerator.” Tabitha
said softly and grabbed Stephen’s hand.
“Thanks Tabitha, I’ll eat it
tomorrow, I’m not very hungry now. I had a sandwich earlier.” Ashley told her,
not looking up from the floor and pushed her bare foot back and forth on the
carpet, trying to sound normal when she felt anything but normal.
“Okay dear, come on Stephen,
let’s go to bed, I’m really tired.” Tabitha said and told Ashley goodnight
before they left her room and walked down the hall to their bedroom and shut
the door. It was only then did Ashley look up and she looked at her suitcase
still packed and sitting next to the overnight stand.
She had to figure out how to
get out of here before Stephen discovered she’d been through his things and
before he decided to get rid of her. Ashley lay on the bed and closed her eyes.
She’d wait until they were sound asleep and then try to leave. Ashley fell
asleep herself though and didn’t hear the door open.
No comments:
Post a Comment